Monday, May 23, 2022

John 13:34-35

With all the hate that is in the world today I find it hard to understand how any Christian could think that this was from Jesus. He gave us a new commandment to LOVE one another! I am reposting an article after this post by David French that left me troubled and concerned for the Body Of Christ. I apologize if it offends.


“Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts.” (from Paul’s Letter to the Romans)
There is in every one of us an inherent dignity that no one can give you, and that no one can take away. 


in the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, “It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.” Yes: our invitation to show up. Showing up (in touch with our hearts and the light inside) we put healing front and center, allowing for touch, presence, making space for grieving.


Helen Keller; “I am one, but still I am one;
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something;
And just because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”Sabbath Moments 


So, as this week comes to its end and a new one arrives, may your beautiful mind and tender heart lift you above the noise and the hate. May you quiet yourself and allow the beauty your mind can envision to be your guide moving forward. May the love in your heart that you were born with keep your faith in the possibilities of humanity. Maria Shriver


John 13:34-35

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” The New King James Version


Jesus inserts this phrase into the commandment from Leviticus 19:18. The new part of the commandment is that Jesus’ disciples are instructed to love other people the way Jesus loved them—serving them like a slave would, as He does in this scene, even to the point of laying down their lives for others. 


The indicator of a Christian is the way they treat others. Faithlife Study Bible 


The command to love was new because Jesus gave it a new standard. Moses said, “Love your neighbor as yourself”. Jesus said the new standard was as I have loved you. Jesus gave His disciples the example of love that they were to follow. 


Unbelievers recognize Jesus’ disciples not by their doctrinal distinctives, nor by dramatic miracles, nor even by their love for the lost. They recognize His disciples by their deeds of love for one another. The NKJV Study Bible


Before Christ left the disciples, he would give them a new commandment. They were to love each other for Christ’s sake, and according to his example, seeking what might benefit others, and promoting the cause of the gospel, as one body, animated by one soul. But this commandment still appears new to many professors. Men in general notice any of Christ’s words rather than these. By this it appears, that if the followers of Christ do not show love one to another, they give cause to suspect their sincerity. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary


Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.


1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.


Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.


1 Thessalonians 4:9 But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another;


1 John 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment