Thursday, December 16, 2021

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

God’s tender mercies are new each and every day. May we always rejoice in the consolation of our almighty triune Godhead! 

17 years ago my only son at 28 was killed in a work related accident. The last time we were together was Christmas. He had gathered together his sisters for a family portrait as a present. It has brought me such comfort. For 2 years prior to his passing Holy Spirit had warned me that a life changing event would occur in my life…I had written my Pastor that it would either be the end of time or the end of me as I knew me. Never did I think it would be my child passing. Only by the grace of God and His peace that was beyond my understanding at the time did I live through this. It has changed me…hopefully making me more compassionate  and empathetic of the suffering of others. I now understand more fully the price that God paid to sacrifice His only Son for the likes of me.


I look forward to the day that there will be no more suffering and no more tears. May the peace of Christ fill your home this holy season.


2 Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. The New King James Version


Paul alludes to a Jewish expression of praise called the barakhah, the Hebrew word for “blessing”. Paul praises God for His provision of comfort during hardship. It typically refers to encouragement or consolation given to someone who is suffering or in mourning. Faithlife Study Bible


A word of thanks often followed a letter’s salutation. Blessed expresses adoration and praise. Paul called God the God and Father of Christ. Even though Jesus is God, as the incarnate Son He was dependent on God the Father. Thus God the Father was His God. Comfort here means “exhortation,” “encouragement,” “cheer.” Paul used this word, sometimes translated “consolation,” ten times in the following five verses (vv. 3–7). This is the purpose of our gathering in the church. When they meet, believers should encourage each other in the faith. Tribulation means distress or affliction. God comforts us not only to make us comfortable but also to make us comforters. The comfort that God gives to us becomes a gift we can give to others. Our willingness to share it reflects the sincerity of our faith. The NKJV Study Bible


Isaiah 66:13 As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; and you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.”


Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,


1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

No comments:

Post a Comment