Friday, February 9, 2024

Luke 12:49-53 I believe in God!

Jesus and the salvation that He alone could give would not be readily accepted by God’s chosen people. Those who accepted Him would face ridicule, rejection and even death. They would become outcast and aliens to their religion and even their families. 


As a result of the  rejection from His chosen people the whole world would be offered this gift of God. 


Grace came to the masses as a result! Some Churches today still make the traditions of men the way to earn God’s acceptance. How sad that we make this precious gift  of God into a legal maneuver instead of accepting His grace in Jesus Christ. 


Jesus accomplished all we need for salvation and faith in Him alone pleases the Father.


John 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.


Galatians 5:15 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.


It did my heart good this week re-reading the story about an inscription found scratched on a wall of a cellar in Cologne, where a number of Jews hid themselves during the second world war.  


I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love,
even when even when it is not apparent.
And I believe in God,
even when he is silent.
I believe through any trial,
there is always a way
But sometimes in this suffering
and hopeless despair
My heart cries for shelter,
to know someone’s there
But a voice rises within me, saying hold on
my child, I’ll give you strength,
I’ll give you hope. Just stay a little while.
I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love
even when there’s no one there
But I believe in God
even when he is silent
I believe through any trial
there is always a way.
May there someday be sunshine
May there someday be happiness
May there someday be love
May there someday be peace….


There have been many articles about the inscription... and I appreciated this translation of the original.


I believe in the sun, even in the darkness.
I believe in God, even if God is silent.
I believe in compassion, even when it must remain hidden. 

Sabbath Moments


Luke 12:49-53

49 “I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished! 51 Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. 52 For from now on five in one house will be divided: three against two, and two against three. 53 Father will be divided against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.” The New King James Version


The proclamation of God’s kingdom brings conflict because it forces those who hear to make a decision about Jesus. 


Jesus suggests that there are elements of judgment associated with His mission. At face value, this statement seems to contradict the angels’ announcement of peace at Jesus’ birth. However, Jesus is not denying the reality of messianic peace; rather, He is affirming that His death and resurrection will force people to choose sides. Although the way of Jesus certainly leads to peace in God’s kingdom, not everyone decides to follow Him. Jesus incorporates phrases from Micah 7:6 to describe the divisive nature of His message. Faithlife Study Bible


Fire is an image associated with God’s judgment. Jesus’ coming brings judgment on those who refuse to accept Him and divides the believers from the faithless.


Though Jesus was ready for the judgment of humankind, other things had to happen first. 


Part of Jesus’ mission was to create a division within humankind. Other texts of Luke speak of Jesus bringing peace. He offers peace to those who respond to Him. The NKJV Study Bible


There was to be a wide publication of the gospel. But before that took place, Christ had a baptism to be baptized with, far different from that of water and the Holy Spirit. He must endure sufferings and death. It agreed not with his plan to preach the gospel more widely, till this baptism was completed. We should be zealous in making known the truth, for though divisions will be stirred up, and a man’s own household may be his foes, yet sinners will be converted, and God will be glorified. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary


Micah 7:6 

For son dishonors father,

Daughter rises against her mother,

Daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;

A man’s enemies are the men of his own household.


Mark 10:38–39 But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”They said to Him, “We are able.”So Jesus said to them, “You will indeed drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will be baptized;


Matthew 10:34–36Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’…


Matthew 10:21 “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.


No comments:

Post a Comment