Monday, February 26, 2024

Character matters

All sins can be forgiven mankind except for blaspheme of Holy Spirit. We must be very careful not to call  evil good nor good evil! 


character matters


I do know this: If I “wake up to this life,” I may not like what I see. My confession: hurry and distraction have always served a purpose.


I write about sanctuary, but frankly, there is something oddly satisfying in the rush. And yes, even (oddly), the stress.


Maybe I’m afraid, that if I stop, if I slow down and unplug, where will I find my meaning? What if someone told me (and this is indeed the scandal of Grace) that everything I am ever going to “amount to”, I already am right now?


We’ve missed the point if we don’t see that unplugging and refueling is a laboratory for forgiveness, which begins with self-forgiveness. An invitation to befriend your scattered and wounded self.


Grace, it turns out, is WD40 for the soul. 


Mahatma Gandhi spilled a lot of light in our world. And we sometimes forget the grounding and healing power of sanctuary in “light spilling.”


You see, Ghandi spent a good deal of time at his spinning wheel. Yes, he enjoyed spinning, but it was more than that. He talked about his wheel as the place—the space—where he could remove himself from the pressing demands and issues of the day. A place where he could be centered, calm, rejuvenated. It was his sanctuary. His sacred space.


Where is your sanctuary?

Sabbath Moments 


“God's love doesn't seek value, it creates value.  It is not because we have value that we are loved, but because we are loved that we have value.  Our value is a gift, not an achievement.” William Sloane Coffin


Inhale: I will not be silenced by fear.
Exhale: A quivering voice is still sacred.
Inhale: God, my soul trembles.
Exhale: Steady me in your arms.
Inhale: I will meet this fear with rest.
Exhale: God, steady me in your arms.
(Cole Arthur Riley, Black Liturgies: Prayers, Poems, and Meditations for Staying Human)


No comments:

Post a Comment