Thursday, September 8, 2022

John 8:28–32

The truth of Jesus, His birth, His death and Resurrection from the dead, sets us free from the bondage of sin that  came into the world through Adam. 


Jesus conquered death and sin and allows us to abide in the salvation God provided.


God has already given us the greatest gift: forgiveness for sin, and fellowship with Him through the death and resurrection of Jesus. He has already granted us "all things that pertain to life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3). Our salvation rests on grace alone, (2 Timothy 1:9) but our "good works, which God prepared beforehand" (Ephesians 2:10) are also observed and remembered by God. By His power at work within us, (Philippians 2:13;  Ephesians 3:20) may we offer cheerful, willing obedience in giving ourselves and our service back to Him. May we dedicate all we are to His worship. (Mark 12:30) 


Thank You, God, for the salvation You provided for me. Because of Jesus, I have become the tabernacle of Your Holy Spirit. I am Your dwelling place! I have access to You! May I bow down in humble worship. May I submit my will to Your purposes. May I recognize what You have already given me. Renew my desire to give joyfully and serve faithfully. Help me to remember that You value my offerings, You notice my obedience, You record my faith and You will bring about Your purposes for good in those who love You. In Jesus' name, amen. First5 


We’ve turned wealth into a way to objectify stuff and relationships, predicated on having, possessing and preening. But rich is about the real connections that expand our life and give us value. Rich is about the connections that promote the value of love, empathy and compassion and encourage us to struggle against what is artificial, mechanical and cold. SabbathMoments 


John 8:28–32

28 Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things. 29 And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him.” 30 As He spoke these words, many believed in Him. 31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” The New King James Version


Lift up refers to the crucifixion; simultaneously symbolizes Jesus’ atoning death and glorification. The act of crucifixion will bring awareness of Jesus’ true identity. Faithlife Study Bible


The Greek phrase translated believed in occurs almost exclusively in John’s Gospel. The phrase describes faith in Jesus’ message results in eternal life. 


Abide means to remain, to continue. A believer who continues to obey the Word is a disciple, a learner. One who abides in the Word of God knows the truth. 


The word free refers to freedom from the bondage of sin. Obedience to the Lord means fellowship with Him, protection from sin, and experiencing His love. The NKJV Study Bible


Nothing but the doctrine of Christ’s grace will be an argument powerful enough, and none but the Spirit of Christ’s grace will be an agent powerful enough, to turn us from sin to God; and that Spirit is given, and that doctrine is given, to work upon those only who believe in Christ.


Jesus plainly reminded them, that the man who practised any sin, was, in fact, a slave to that sin, which was the case with most of them. Christ in the gospel offers us freedom, he has power to do this, and those whom Christ makes free are really so. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary


John 5:30 I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.


John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.


John 16:32 Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment