Friday, June 3, 2022

Acts 2:25-28

 Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father interceding for us. Rejoice and be glad!!


 Christ within, Holy Spirit, is our hope and our strength.


Acts 2:25-28

25 For David says concerning Him: ‘I foresaw the Lord always before my face, For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken. 26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad; Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope. 27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption. 28 You have made known to me the ways of life; You will make me full of joy in Your presence.’ The New King James Version


Peter cites Psalm 16:8–11, a psalm of David, stating that the reference to the Holy One in Psalm 16:10 speaks of the Messiah’s resurrection. Peter understands David’s trust in Yahweh to be rooted in his belief that God will ultimately overcome death through the Messiah. The psalm shows that David had confidence in his ultimate safety in Yahweh. For Peter, this hints at a confidence in the resurrection of Jesus.


In the original context, this psalm could emphasize David’s belief that Yahweh would not allow him to die at that particular moment, or that God would not allow him to experience permanent death. The idea of a resurrection from death is where Peter finds the ultimate significance of David’s words. Faithlife Study Bible.


Joel prophesied that the Spirit would come; Jesus fulfilled that promise when He sent the Spirit (John 14:16). If Jesus was dead, He could not have sent the Spirit. Therefore, He must be alive. Furthermore, Jesus could not have sent the Spirit unless He had ascended as Lord to heaven. Therefore, Jesus is both our Master and our Savior. 


Peter knew that no one could dispute the point he was about to make from Ps. 16:8–11, in which the Messiah is described as not decaying. Because David had been buried and had not come back to life, the psalm had to be speaking about someone else, David’s heir. Peter pointed out that this heir is Jesus, who was put to death and resurrected. Not only had Jesus been raised from the dead, He is now at the right hand of God. As further proof of this Peter quoted David again. According to Ps. 110:1, the Messiah would sit at the right hand of God. David had not ascended to the heavens. 


But the apostles declared themselves to be witnesses of the very ascension spoken of in this psalm, the ascension of Jesus. Based on these points, Peter’s conclusion is clear: Jesus, the One who had been crucified, is not Lord and Christ. NKJV Study Bible.


Psalm 16:8 I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.


Psalm 16:9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope.


Psalm 16:10 For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.


Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.



No comments:

Post a Comment