Friday, July 21, 2023

Zechariah 14:6–9


And the Lord shall reign over all of His creation.


Blessed be His holy name, Jesus!


“The Lord is my STRENGTH and my SONG. He has become my SALVATION. He is my God and I will praise Him.” (Exodus 15:2)


“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)


“All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” (Psalm 139:16)


"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him" (John 3:17).


I can so resonate with this from Native American elder Steven Charleston, “Like a bird with a broken wing I have known days when I felt I would never fly again, never rise up into the bright sunshine, never glide through the clean air of open fields and somber mountains, but be trapped forever by the window, looking out to a reality I could no longer enjoy. I know some of you know what I mean. But then, without any reason other than love, a strong but gentle hand held me safe and mended my brokenness, healed me and set me free, whole once more. Now I fly in thanksgiving and celebration, my heart forever grateful for a mercy I did not deserve.” (Steven is an author, and retired Episcopal bishop of Alaska.) SabbathMoments


Zechariah 14:6–9

6 It shall come to pass in that day 

That there will be no light; 

The lights will diminish. 


7 It shall be one day 

Which is known to the Lord 

Neither day nor night. But at evening time it shall happen 

That it will be light. 


8 And in that day it shall be— 

That living waters shall flow from Jerusalem, 

Half of them toward the eastern sea 

And half of them toward the western sea; 

In both summer and winter it shall occur.

9 And the Lord shall be King over all the earth. 

In that day it shall be “The Lord is one,” 

And His name one. The New King James Version


Yahweh will be one is an allusion drawing attention to the statement of Yahweh’s essential unity in Deuteronomy 6:4 (sometimes referred to as the Shema). Faithlife Study Bible


Cosmic upheaval is associated with the Second Coming. The glory of the Messiah’s kingdom is preceded by dark days of judgment. 


The imagery of darkness as a portent of judgment is common in the prophets. The term living waters describes running water from a spring or river, in contrast to the stale and stagnant water of a cistern (Jeremiah 2:13). The water will flow from Jerusalem toward the eastern sea (the Dead Sea) and the western sea (the Mediterranean). In contrast with the seasonal streams that flow only during the rainy season, these streams will irrigate the land both summer and winter. 


Zechariah anticipates the glorious day when the Lord will reestablish His reign on this earth, where it was first challenged by Satan. This will be the answer to the prayers of all those who pray Jesus’ words, “Your kingdom come” (Matthew 6:10). 


The words the Lord is one speak of His unity and His uniqueness. The NKJV Study Bible


Deuteronomy 6:4 

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!


Revelation 22:1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment