Friday, April 1, 2022

Lamentations 1:21-22

Vengeance belongs to the Lord not us.

His amazing grace covers our sins in Jesus!


This week we’ve been talking about my favorite theme: grace.
Anne Lamott notes that Grace is an "unseen sound that makes you look up.” Or, stops you. Literally. Right where you are. And doesn’t let you go. Sabbath Moments 


Lamentations 1:21-22

21 “They have heard that I sigh, But no one comforts me. All my enemies have heard of my trouble; They are glad that You have done it. Bring on the day You have announced, That they may become like me. 22 “Let all their wickedness come before You, And do to them as You have done to me For all my transgressions; For my sighs are many, And my heart is faint.” The New King James Version


The poetry of the old testament often contains calls like this for Yahweh to judge enemies. Now that judgment has come on Jerusalem, the city longs that Yahweh’s promised day of judgment would come on the other nations. This second lament focuses on the great suffering inflicted on Zion when Yahweh became like an enemy. The emphasis is on the wrath of the Divine Warrior unleashed against His people, but the poet has no illusions that Yahweh’s anger is unwarranted or unjustified. Faithlife Study Bible


Those who previously had been friends of Judah became Judah’s enemies. Several times the “day” of God’s wrath is mentioned in the Book of Lamentations. The term is used to refer not only to the time of Jerusalem’s fall in the past, but also to a future day when God would rectify all of the wrongs that the nations had committed against Israel and God. The NKJV Study Bible


Whatever may be learned from the sufferings of Jerusalem, far more may be learned from the sufferings of Christ. Does he not from the cross speak to every one of us? Does he not say, Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by? Let all our sorrows lead us to the cross of Christ, lead us to mark his example, and cheerfully to follow him. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary


Psalm 35:15 But in my adversity they rejoiced and gathered together; attackers gathered against me, and I did not know it; they tore at me and did not cease;


Lamentations 2:15 All who pass by clap their hands at you; they hiss and shake their heads at the daughter of Jerusalem: “Is this the city that is called ‘The perfection of beauty, the joy of the whole earth’?”

No comments:

Post a Comment