Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Romans 1:11-12

Spiritual gifts are just that, gifts from Holy Spirit, to aid us in living out the Christ faith. What would be impossible without His guidance and insight to the Word has now changed to the knowledge that nothing is impossible with Christ within. 

Jesus did not leave us alone and  forsaken but gave us Himself, in the very Spirit of God, to reside within these bodies of  flesh.


Romans

All of Paul’s other letters arise from a particular occasion and have a definite purpose. Romans is different; from the content it seems to have a much more general didactic aim. Having said this, it is possible to see at least two purposes Paul had in writing the book. His first purpose was to prepare the Romans for his planned journey to Rome and later to Spain. His immediate itinerary involved a trip to Jerusalem, but his vision was toward the west. He clearly suggests that he expects assistance from them in his endeavor to carry the gospel to Spain.


But if that had been his only purpose, a brief note would have been enough. Obviously Paul had more in mind. A second purpose involved Paul’s understanding that the believers needed to “be established”. Paul wanted to give them a well-instructed faith. His letter is a kind of syllabus of Paul’s apostolic teaching. Romans is a masterful presentation of God’s plan of salvation for Jews and Gentiles.  The NKJV Study Bible


Romans 1:11-12 

11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established—12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.


This may refer to spiritual gifts or some spiritual understanding of Paul’s mission and message. Ultimately, it will benefit the believers. The Greek word used here, stērizō, describes making someone more resolved in belief or attitude. In addition to providing spiritual gifts and strength to the Romans, Paul desired to benefit from his planned visit to Rome. Faithlife Bible.


To impart … some spiritual gift does not mean that Paul would bestow spiritual gifts like teaching, healing, or prophecy. It means that he would exercise his spiritual gift and in so doing would bless them. NKJ Study Bible.


Our journeys are made prosperous or otherwise, according to the will of God. We should readily impart to others what God has trusted to us, rejoicing to make others joyful, especially taking pleasure in communing with those who believe the same things with us. If redeemed by the blood, and converted by the grace of the Lord Jesus, we are altogether his; and for his sake we are debtors to all men, to do all the good we can. Such services are our duty.  Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary


Acts 19:21 When these things were accomplished, Paul purposed in the Spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, “After I have been there, I must also see Rome.”


Romans 15:29 But I know that when I come to you, I shall come in the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.


Titus 1:4 To Titus, a true son in our common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior.


A Reworking of Psalm 23
The Lord is my Pace-setter, I shall not rush; He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals. He provides me with images of stillness, which restore my serenity.
He leads me in ways of efficiency
through calmness of mind,
and His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things
to accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His presence is here;
His timelessness, His all importance,
will keep me in balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal
in the midst of my activity
by anointing my mind
with His oils of tranquility.
My cup of joyous energy overflows.
Surely harmony and effectiveness
shall be the fruits of my hours;
for I shall walk, in the pace of my Lord
and dwell in His house forever.
Toki Miyashina, Japanese Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment