1 Peter 2:16 as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.
God’s love given to mankind in the person of Jesus Christ covered a multitude of sin…ours. The gifts of God are faith, hope and love and the greatest of these Holy Spirit writes to us is love. Without it we are just making noice. With Holy Spirit it is possible to both hear Him and follow Him in love, in joy, in peace, in kindness, in goodness, in faithfulness, in gentleness and in self control. What is impossible without Him is totally possible in Christ (Galatians 5:22-26). Carla
Galatians 5:13-15
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! (NKJV)
The Christian does not live under the law of Moses, but instead under “the law of Christ” (6:2). Living in Christ empowers us to love others, which is the fulfillment of the law (see Jesus’ summary of the Law and the Prophets in Matthew 22:36–40). When Christians follow their sinful desires they begin to criticize and contend with one another. Such self-centered behavior is self-defeating. Those who criticize and attack usually end up being consumed in worthless struggles. The only consistent way to overcome the sinful desires of our human nature (the flesh) is to live step-by-step in the power of the Holy Spirit as He works through our spirit. Walking each moment by faith in God’s word under the Spirit’s control assures absolute victory over the desires of our sinful nature. The NKJV Study Bible
If Christians, who should help one another, and rejoice one another, quarrel, what can be expected but that the God of love should deny his grace, that the Spirit of love should depart, and the evil spirit, who seeks their destruction, should prevail? Happy would it be, if Christians, instead of biting and devouring one another on account of different opinions, would set themselves against sin in themselves, and in the places where they live. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary
Paul urges the Galatians to use their freedom from the law’s requirements to fulfill the law’s essence: love of neighbor. According to Paul, God frees believers from slavery under the law so that they choose to serve one another. You shall love your neighbor as yourself by quoting Leviticus 19:18, Paul shows that the law itself upholds love as the main goal of law keeping. In the context of the letter, Paul uses this quote as a springboard to present a series of instructions (Galatians 5:16–6:10) that promote a healthy, godly church community in Galatia.
Paul uses vivid imagery—wild animals in a deadly fight—to warn the Galatians that attacking one another ultimately will destroy their community. Faithlife Study Bible
Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.
1 Corinthians 8:9
But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.
1 Corinthians 9:19
For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more;
Galatians 6:2
Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
I grew up in a church that taught me to believe. And to recite my beliefs (to have a creed). And to challenge anyone who had incorrect beliefs. Or if not challenge, at least pity them. And then I grew up. And it turns out that holding such blameless beliefs turns out to be the easy route. And I can tell you that I have too often used my belief system as a shield, rather than an invitation.
Believers are easy to find.
Practicers, that’s a different story. Think of the parable of the Good Samaritan. Two men who were advocates of a devout creed, plainly passed the beggar—who needed help—by. And one man—the Samaritan—stopped to care for the beggar, a vivid reminder that practicing what you preach, is a metaphor for the invitation, “get in”.
Don’t get me wrong. Passing by is easy to do. Think of it as living in a “bubble”.
It keeps us from seeing, or knowing, or commitment. And bubbles are a good sedative. “I don’t need to know.” Or, “I’m not affected. It’s not my world.”
When I think of this invitation to “get in”, I think of Jesus readily and willingly being “in the midst”. Whenever there was need, he did not pass by, staying in his bubble.
And reading the New Testament, we often see Jesus “in the midst”.
I love that phrase. So, when you "get in," get ready for the ride of your life.
When I get in, I am in touch with my heart. And I am available to... give, forgive, risk, fail, try, create, offer, feel, see, embrace wonder.
I am available to build-bridges, cry, laugh, play, grieve, mourn, fall-down, get-up-again, paint, write, and see poetry in the clouds.
I am available to lend a helping hand, hold a hand that needs it, and give in to the vulnerability of trusting another who pushes the wheelbarrow.
Why get in? Because we’re in this together, and I have something to give. And trust me, it makes a difference. “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine. Hide it under a bushel, No.”
If life is to be lived, and not merely managed, get in.
If life is to pour out from the heart, and not be solely analyzed from the head, get in.
If life is not just about answers, but about asking the right questions, get in.
And I think of the parable of the shepherd looking for the lost sheep. Skill sets are one thing. We can teach them. And procedures and protocols can be learned (and in too many cases in church, they can be happily unlearned).
But a whole heart, an honest awareness and admission of what it means to be a lost sheep, to know sorrow in your heart, and a willingness to set down the moniker of expert and to say, “Please let me carry you” is enough.
“To bring about change, you must not be afraid to take the first step. We will fail when we fail to try." (Thank you Rosa Parks) We’re afraid to let “try” be our first step. And we’re afraid to let “fail” be our second step. And because of that, we never see the joy of finding lost sheep, and carrying them home.
Here’s the deal: when I am inundated with internal and external hubbub, I forget about the heart I can bring to this day. The touch I can give to people around me who are tussling with bleakness. The gift of welcome I can offer people who are left out and diminished. The calling I have (to be Tikkun Olam, repairer of the world) to bring pardon and hope and love.
Get in indeed.
My heart is wholly and unreservedly connected.
I realize that I can get in when I know that fear does not own me. In other words, when I know that I am loved, with nothing to prove and no one to impress. Sabbath Moments
No comments:
Post a Comment