Friday, August 14, 2026

1 Corinthians 16:13 Stand fast in faith and love!

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 

It is only the agape love of God that saves us from ourselves.  In Christ we are freed to love God and others… it is the greatest of His gifts. Without God’s love behind our actions we are just making noise. Faith, hope and love exist in Him and the greatest of these is LOVE. We do not fight against mankind but against the powers of evil that want to kill, steal and destroy us and our faith in God. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit trust Him to deliver us safely home. Carla


1 Corinthians 16:13

Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. 14 Let all that you do be done with love. (NKJV)


Watch is often used in the New Testament  to indicate anticipation of some future event (Mark 13:37; Revelations 3:3). Paul’s exhortation to stand fast in the faith is especially important in view of the susceptibility of the Corinthians to false teaching (2 Corinthians 11:3). Paul’s command to do everything with love serves as a balance to these strong exhortations. The NKJV Study Bible


Paul explains the more excellent way that he mentioned in 12:31. Paul’s goal is to show the Corinthians that the only proper use for gifts is through love. Faithlife Study Bible


Galatians 5:1

Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 


Philippians 1:27

Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 


1 Thessalonians 3:8

For now we live, if you stand fast in the Lord.


1 Samuel 4:9

Be strong and conduct yourselves like men, you Philistines, that you do not become servants of the Hebrews, as they have been to you. Conduct yourselves like men, and fight!”


“This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine.”
In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus tells the disciples, “You are the light of the world.”
And then adds, “Let your light shine.”
Let. As is, allow. As in, the light is already there.
Jesus never said, “Create the light.”
He never said, “Make the light.”
He never even said, “Be good at light shining.”
He simply told us to get out of the way, and let the light that is already there, spill.


So. Instead of light shining classes, let us give ourselves the gift of embracing the light that is alive and well inside... the light of compassion, kindness, empathy, inclusion, hope, and authenticity.


Granted, much of that light may be “under a bushel”, but it is still there, nonetheless. And this is the power: when we know that the light is here, now, we embrace (and are fueled by) the permission to be present. Yes.
Because when we don’t see (or miss seeing) because our light is “under a bushel”, we shut down or find ways to compensate. And we project strength through clout, or cynicism, or callousness.


Yes, that light may be obscured by tragedy and stress, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there, and cannot spill to the world around us. Yes. In this life.

At my age, it’s common to be asked about retirement (well, to be honest, first you’re asked about aches and pains), and whether or not I can afford to grow old. “What have you invested in?” I am asked.
Granted, my portfolio may be undistinguished, but I'll save my worry for later. I have other investments in mind.
Today, I want to invest in being present and wholehearted.
Today, I want to invest in being unafraid.
Today, I want to invest in bringing the better angels of this self, to a world that needs people who care about making it a better place.
More than ever, I value being around people who live well in their own skin. Because they live unafraid.
And here’s the wonderful irony.
Being fully present allows me to be present for others around me. You know, as in connected. As in face to face, eye to eye, hand in hand, shoulder to shoulder. Why? Because I have nothing to prove, no one to impress and no need to manipulate or denigrate anyone.
It’s about shining a light from the candle in our spirit. “This little light of mine…”
It’s about knowing that each day we are able to continue to weave the tapestry of our lives... with a purity of spirit, and intention.
And that my friends, makes a difference in our world, where fear, and discouragement, and pessimism, are real.
Yes. It makes a difference. And I know that, with deep gratitude, for those who have spilled light on my, and in my, world. Thank you, my friends, for the light you spill. Sabbath Moments

No comments:

Post a Comment