Friday, December 2, 2022

Ezekiel 21:12-13

God’s chosen people are  held to a higher standard. Some choose their religious doctrine over Jesus. They were and are without excuse.


Woe to all who choose not to accept His Son as their Messiah and King.


Loving God,
I sense that all is your creation
and everything, and all of us,
are being drawn back toward your loving heart.
Help me to be a person of peace,
To speak about it in an uneasy world,
And to live it among the people
you have put into my life every day.
Light in me a desire to prepare for your coming
to stand in the darkness, waiting, eager and filled with joy.
(Thank you Creighton.edu) SabbathMoments 


Christs’ followers went from being terrified to later testifying of the Truth of the gospel: the good news of salvation they saw lived out before their very eyes through the life, death, resurrection and ascension of Christ. First5 


Ezekiel 21:12-13

12 “Cry and wail, son of man; For it will be against My people, Against all the princes of Israel. Terrors including the sword will be against My people; Therefore strike your thigh. 13 “Because it is a testing, And what if the sword despises even the scepter? The scepter shall be no more,” says the Lord God. The New King James Version


Ezekiel is lamenting the death of the royal house of David. Faithlife Study Bible


Ezekiel was told to add verbal groans and a physical gesture to his musical message. In that culture, these actions displayed great grief and sorrow. Israel failed a test. The sword would strike God’s people, specifically the nation’s rulers (the meaning of the word scepter). These words drew upon the messianic implications of Genesis 49:9, 10 and the promises of the Davidic covenant in 2 Samuel 7. 


The Jews had misinterpreted these promises to mean that their nation would never fall. Because of their sin, however, the Davidic line of kings would be interrupted. False messianic hopes related to Judah were corrected when Jerusalem was overthrown in 586 b.c. by Nebuchadnezzar. The NKJV Study Bible


The sword glitters to the terror of those against whom it is drawn. It is a sword to others, a rod to the people of the Lord. God is in earnest in pronouncing this sentence, and the prophet must show himself in earnest in publishing it. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary


Jeremiah 31:19 

Surely, after my turning, I repented;

And after I was instructed, I struck myself on the thigh;

I was ashamed, yes, even humiliated,

Because I bore the reproach of my youth.’


Ezekiel 21:27 

Overthrown, overthrown,

I will make it overthrown!

It shall be no longer,

Until He comes whose right it is,

And I will give it to Him.” ’


No comments:

Post a Comment