Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Institution of the Lord's Supper


Jesus was born, died and resurrected for you, for me, for the world. Through the blood that He shed we are cleansed from our unrighteousness and abide in His righteousness. Through His body, broken and destroyed but risen again, we are given eternal life that where He is we are also. 

This Covenant of Grace is extended to all of creation but it us up to us to spread the Good News.

Jesus reinterprets the symbolism of the bread consumed to commemorate the Passover meal, applying it to His impending death. Jesus states that His imminent death enacts the new covenant centered on forgiveness. Faithlife Bible

Some interpret this is My blood metaphorically, meaning that the contents of this cup represented Jesus’ blood that would be shed for our sins. Others give the statement a more literal interpretation. The sprinkling of blood was required to institute the Mosaic covenant. In the same way, Jesus’ blood shed on the cross initiated the new covenant: His blood was shed for many. He died on the cross in the place of many sinners from every nation. He paid the price for all of their sins. All those who believe in Him will receive eternal life. NKJ Bible.

Matthew 26:26–29 (NKJV)
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”
27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”


Mark 14:22–25 (NKJV)
22 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”
23 Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 And He said to them, “This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. 25 Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

Luke 22:17–20 (NKJV)
17 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.
19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

Leviticus 17:11 (NKJV)
11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’

Matthew 26:28 (NKJV)
28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.




No comments:

Post a Comment