Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Jonah 2:7-9

Sometimes life stacks events one upon another with no breathing room. It has been this way for Timmy and I for the last few months. An ongoing issue with me that includes scheduled trips to the surgery center every five years, my elder father with Alzheimer's had eye surgery, recent trips to hubby’s DRs for routine testing and now an episode ending in a trip to the ER with his cardio assuming it was a TIA…even the new puppy needs testing at a  vet cardio for a heart murmur. WTHeck! There will be necessary testing for Tim that he is not comfortable with.

All things are in the hands of God. 

He promises that he will never leave us nor forsake us when we place things out of our control into His. He is so very able to keep us in perfect peace when we hand it to Him.

Jonah declares that he will keep his promise, a pledge both to sacrifice and to acknowledge God’s help. It is the Lord who delivers His people. God acts on behalf of His creation and the redeemed community to insure a relationship with them. The NKJV Study Bible. (2007). (Jon 2:7–9). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.

Mercy—Jehovah, the very idea of whom is identified now in Jonah’s mind with mercy and loving-kindness. As the Psalmist styles Him, “my goodness”; God who is to me all beneficence“the God of my mercy,” literally, “my kindness-God.” Jonah had “forsaken His own mercy,” God, to flee to heathen lands where “lying vanities” (idols) were worshipped. But now, taught by his own preservation in conscious life in the fish’s belly, and by the inability of the mariners idols to lull the storm, estrangement from God seems estrangement from his own happiness. Prayer has been restrained in Jonah’s case, so that he was “fast asleep” in the midst of danger, heretofore; but now prayer is the sure sign of his return to God. Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible

Jonah 2:7–9 (NKJV)
7 “When my soul fainted within me,
I remembered the Lord;
And my prayer went up to You,
Into Your holy temple.
8 “Those who regard worthless idols
Forsake their own Mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay what I have vowed.
Salvation is of the Lord.

Psalm 18:6 (NKJV)
6 In my distress I called upon the Lord,
And cried out to my God;
He heard my voice from His temple,
And my cry came before Him, even to His ears.

Job 22:27 (NKJV)
27 You will make your prayer to Him,
He will hear you,

And you will pay your vows.

No comments:

Post a Comment