Thursday, January 20, 2011

1 Corinthians 2:1-5

God is all knowing and He sees the whole picture the past, the present and things to come. All things are under His control because God is all powerful and He alone has the final word. Nothing happens without His permission and nothing is impossible with His intervention. Why things happen, I do not know, but I rest easy knowing that His wisdom will prevail and His truth will stand through all eternity and that nothing happens to me or you that He is not aware of knowing He will turn all things to good if I just place my trust in Him and the salvation He offers to the world in Jesus Christ.


Paul did not rely on his eloquence or on Greek wisdom to convince his listeners. Instead, he gave the testimony of God which had not been explained before, but which was being revealed by the Holy Spirit. The focal point of Paul’s preaching was Jesus Christ.


Whereas the Corinthians gloried in their strength, their wealth, and their gifts, Christ was glorified in His humility and death. Paul wanted to model Christ’s humility by presenting his “weaknesses.” Then the “strength” of the gospel message could be clearly seen.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5

2 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment