Acts 24:16 This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men.
Our words or our actions, as the hands and feet of Jesus Christ, that go against His teachings can offend others and turn them away from the truth of God. Our words and our actions matter. God loves all of His creation and He shows no partiality. There is neither Jew nor Greek, male or female, slave nor free. in His eyes we are all created equal. He wants no one to live without Him (John 3:16). The agape love of God covers a multitude of the sins of mankind. Carla
1 Corinthians 10:32-33
32 Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
Doing all to the glory of God involves encouraging fellow Christians and spreading the good news about Christ. Paul accomplished this by refusing to offend Jews, Greeks, or the church of God, even if it meant restricting his freedom. Like Christ, Paul did not seek his own way or do things for his own pleasure; instead, he desired to help others (v. 24). This should be our desire as well. The NKJV Study Bible
Paul urges the Corinthian believers to avoid actions that cause others to reject the gospel message. Faithlife Study Bible
Romans 15:1–2
We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good,
leading to edification.
1 Corinthians 9:19–23
For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law…
Acts 20:28
Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Romans 11:14
if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them.
When we live For love, we feel the need to put every moment (or encounter or conversation) through its paces, evaluating it, judging it for significance and worth. We want to know if it measures up, and then, and only then will we embrace it, and make it a part of our lives. It is not surprising that it is easy to live lives and relationships based upon comparison, and in the end, shame or regret.
Here's the point: As long as success is measured by keeping score, we lose track of most everything that makes us human and therefore, glad to be alive:
--small gestures of kindness
--acts of inclusion or community to someone left out, or someone on the fringes
--extending a hand of healing or acceptance to someone who hurts
--reveling in the gifts of the senses and being present
--resting in a moment of gratitude
--sharing laughter, a smile, camaraderie, dancing or joy
--sharing stories that invite us to be people of grace—to spill the light of mercy and compassion
Sabbath Moments
No comments:
Post a Comment