Friday, June 11, 2021

Luke 12:49-50

The only way to the Father is through the salvation gift of the Son. 


The sword of the Spirit will divide spiritual truth and the doctrines of mankind.

To Him be all glory, power and control!


Luke 12:49-50

49 “I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished! 51 Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division.


Fire imagery is often used as a symbol of divine judgment. Jesus suggests that there are elements of judgment associated with His mission. His baptism refers to Jesus’ impending death. Faithlife Bible.


Fire is an image associated with God’s judgment. Jesus’ coming brings judgment on those who refuse to accept Him and divides the believers from the faithless. Though Jesus was ready for the judgment of humankind, other things had to happen first.


As a figure for Jesus’ death, baptism in this verse refers to the coming of overflowing waters of divine judgment. Note Jesus’ human response to what He recognized as His necessary death.


Part of Jesus’ mission was to create a division within humankind. Other texts of Luke speak of Jesus bringing peace. He offers peace to those who respond to Him. NKJ Bible.


Matthew 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.


Matthew 10:35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’;


Matthew 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” They said to Him, “We are able.”


Mark 10:38 But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”


John 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment