Thursday, January 7, 2021

John 6:44-58

There is God’s way, the way of Christ, and there is the worlds way. 


Choose whom you will serve.


As for me and my household we choose Jesus Christ…King of kings and Lord of lords.


John 6:44-58

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”

52 The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?”

53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.”


Jesus quotes Isaiah 54:13 in support of His assertion that true disciples will recognize Him in the teachings of Scripture. 


Belief in Jesus leads to eternal life. He repeats the metaphor that He is the “bread of life” and heightens the contrast between the manna that provided only physical nourishment and the bread from heaven that provides eternal life. His teaching is interrupted again by the misunderstanding of the audience and their willful rejection of a spiritual concept they cannot understand. 


Jesus’ physical death is the price for the world’s spiritual life. 


Jesus makes the point that faith in Him—to the point of partaking of His role in the world (including His suffering)—is the way to God. Faithlife Bible.


God draws people by teaching them. Everyone, then, who hears and learns from the Father will come to Christ. Hearing and learning fall short of seeing the Father. John declares, “No one has seen God at any time”. Here Jesus adds that only the Son has seen the Father. Though a person has not seen the Father, he or she can believe in Christ and have everlasting life.


Christ is the bread of life. Those who believe in Him have life. The manna in the wilderness did not ultimately sustain life. Those who ate it eventually died because it could not provide everlasting life. Jesus had made it abundantly clear in this context that eternal life is gained by believing. These verses teach that the benefits of Jesus’ death must be appropriated, by faith, by each individual. NKJ Bible.


Matthew 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”


Matthew 26:27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.


Matthew 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.


Mark 14:22 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”


Luke 22:19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment