Thursday, August 16, 2012

Song of Solomon 2:4-5


Blessed are those who are called to the wedding feast sanctified by the blood of Jesus Christ. Remember, the fruit of the Spirit is love!

The literal meaning of the phrase is “the house of wine,” used because of the role that wine plays not only in feasting, but especially in weddings in biblical cultures. In the Bible, wine is a symbol of joy and the drinking of wine is associated with joyful occasions. Even today, Jewish weddings take place under a “banner” or covering.

This is the first use in the book of the common noun for love related to the verb in v. 3. This noun corresponds to the well-known Greek noun agape, which refers to a self-sacrificial love for others.

Song of Solomon 2:4-5

4 He brought me to the banqueting house, 
And his banner over me was love. 
5 Sustain me with cakes of raisins, 
Refresh me with apples, 
For I am lovesick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment