Thursday, October 15, 2009

John 14

True followers of Jesus Christ do the works that He did.
He comforted the brokenhearted, healed the sick, fed the hungry, raised the dead and cast out fear and evil. Jesus never carried a weapon, never thought of physically hurting anyone, friend or foe. His weapons were spiritual words that manifested into the physical world. He spoke out sharply against wrong but never sought revenge. Jesus is the example of how we should live. He is the truth, He is life and He is the only way to the Father. The ruler of this world is alive and well because God permits it. We do not fight a physical fight but a spiritual one. Our weapons are not carnal for pulling down strongholds but spiritual. If Jesus wanted to destroy His enemies while He walked the earth He would have only spoken a word and they would have been destroyed. He did not because He wanted to leave us free to choose Him. He did not leave us alone but gives us the Holy Spirit who will take the teachings of Christ and reveal them to us, if we only listen. He is the perfect gift, the perfect sacrifice of a loving Father to us. Choose life and then let the Holy Spirit enable you to be doers of His word.

14 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know."

5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?"

6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him."

8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us."

9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father;
so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

19 "A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, "Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?"

23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.

25 "These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 28 You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.

29 "And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe. 30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me. 31 But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do. Arise, let us go from here.

The NKJV Study Bible says this: Jesus told His disciples not to be troubled, but to trust Him. Everybody has a longing for a permanent, secure place. Such places have already been set aside for all of God's children. Peter may have failed Jesus, but Christ will not fail to return for Peter and for everyone else who has believed in Him. Through His death and resurrection, Jesus is the way to the Father. He is also the truth and the life. As truth, He is the revelation of God. As life, He is the communication of God to us. To know Jesus is to know the Father. It is impossible to escape the claim Jesus was making. Clearly, He was claiming to be God. Jesus had accomplished the greatest works possible, including raising the dead. How could He say that believers would do greater works? The answer is seen in the extent of what the apostles did. Jesus' work on earth was confined to Palestine; the apostles would preach everywhere and see the conversion of thousands. Peter's message at Pentecost brought more followers to Jesus than did Jesus' entire earthly ministry. The disciples were able to do this work because Christ would go to the Father and send the Holy Spirit to empower them. The Greek word for believe literally means "to place one's trust in another"; it occurs over 90 times in the Gospel of John alone. To believe in Jesus is to believe in His person and to trust in Him completely for salvation. Many of Jesus' contemporaries believed in Jesus' miraculous powers, but they would not believe in Jesus Himself . Others wanted to believe in a political Messiah, but would not believe in the One who suffered for their sins. But we must be careful to believe and trust in the Jesus presented in the Scriptures, in the Son of God who sacrificed His life for our sins. All three members of the Trinity are mentioned here. Jesus prayed to the Father who would give the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of truth because He is truth and guides us into all truth. The Spirit of God is active in the world, but His acts go unnoticed by the world. The world saw Jesus only in the flesh; the disciples would see Him in a spiritual sense. As the believer lovingly obeys Christ's commandments, he or she will experience a more intimate knowledge of Him. If a believer loves and obeys the Lord, he or she will experience fellowship with God. Disobedience is a serious matter, for Jesus' words are the words of God. Jesus told His disciples these things while He was with them, but when the Holy Spirit came, He would remind the disciples of all things that Jesus had said, and would teach … all things. The peace that Christ gives banishes fear and dread from the heart, for Jesus is in control of all circumstances. As the humble, submissive Son, Jesus submitted Himself to the authority of His Father. Jesus' yielding to what was about to happen did not mean that Satan had any power over Him. Jesus would soon voluntarily yield to the death of the Cross, in loving obedience to the Father


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment