Thursday, August 6, 2009

Psalm 28 a psalm of David

God rewards those who put their faith in Him alone. He answers the prayers of his children. He protects them from the evils of this world. His mercy is new every day. In Him, in the salvation He provided in Christ Jesus, through the power of the Holy Spirit,
you will find rest.

1 To You I will cry, O Lord my Rock: Do not be silent to me,

Lest, if You are silent to me,

I become like those who go down to the pit.

2 Hear the voice of my supplications

When I cry to You,

When I lift up my hands toward Your holy sanctuary.

3 Do not take me away with the wicked

And with the workers of iniquity,

Who speak peace to their neighbors,

But evil is in their hearts.

6 Blessed be the Lord,

Because He has heard the voice of my supplications!

7 The Lord is my strength and my shield;

My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;


Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,

And with my song I will praise Him.

8 The Lord is their strength,

And He is the saving refuge of His anointed.

9 Save Your people,

And bless Your inheritance;

Shepherd them also,

And bear them up forever.

The NKJV Study Bible says this: The psalm includes a prayer against David's enemies and a royal invocation of praise to the Lord. The psalm has four movements: (1) an appeal to God that He not be silent; (2) a petition to be distinguished from the wicked and their deserved punishment; (3) a blessing of the Lord for His work in the psalmist's life; (4) praise for the Lord who delivers His anointed and His people. One of the ways David senses the distance of God is His "silence". David might be referring merely to his lack of a sense of intimacy with God, but it is also possible that he is awaiting a specific word from the Lord through a prophet or a priest. David asks to be rescued from death so that he might live to praise God. One day even the wicked will have to acknowledge God as their Creator and give Him the glory He deserves. Because the plea of the psalmist has been heard, the last section of the poem is a hymn of praise. The comparison of God with a shepherd is an image of the loving care of a great king. This image also foreshadows Jesus, the coming King and the Good Shepherd.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment