Monday, July 20, 2009

Psalm 119:113-120

There is no one righteous, no not one! Our only hope is in Christ Jesus, the Word made flesh, who took our sin and died in place of us so that we could have life. God's mercy and grace given in Christ Jesus covers a multitude of sin. To those who accept His free gift, the Holy Spirit will guide and direct them into all truth.

113 I hate the double-minded,

But I love Your law.

114 You are my hiding place and my shield;

I hope in Your word.

115 Depart from me, you evildoers,

For I will keep the commandments of my God!

116 Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live;

And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.

117 Hold me up, and I shall be safe,

And I shall observe Your statutes continually.

118 You reject all those who stray from Your statutes,

For their deceit is falsehood.

119 You put away all the wicked of the earth like dross;

Therefore I love Your testimonies.

120 My flesh trembles for fear of You,

And I am afraid of Your judgments.

The NKJV Study Bible says this: Commandments pertain to anything the Lord God has ordered. The word alludes to God's authority to govern His people. The commandments of God are positive and negative, specific and general, restrictive and permissive. Yet most important, they help a person to identify his or her way in a world that is filled with confusion, sin, and error. Although usually translated law, the noun torah is derived from the verb yarah, meaning "to teach," and should be understood as carrying the idea of "instruction." The term can refer to any set of regulations, such as the instructions of parents. The writer of Ps. 119 expressed great love for God's law, because it led him to wisdom and righteousness. In the NT, Paul also praised God's law because it pointed out his sin and made him realize his desperate need for a Savior. The psalmist's reference to God's mercy in this verse alludes to God's promise to show mercy to those who love Him.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment