Friday, August 28, 2026

Hebrews 13:5-6 Take God at His word! We do not walk alone.

 Philippians 4:11–12 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

I trust God. I believe in God the Father almighty. I believe in  faith, the gift of God, that through Jesus the world could be saved, I believe in Holy Spirit who together with the Father and the Son guides us and will get us safely home at our journeys end. The Lord is my helper I do not walk alone. Carla


Hebrews 13:5-6

5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we may boldly say:

“The Lord is my helper;

I will not fear.

What can man do to me?”  NKJV)


Covetousness is addressed in the last of the Ten Commandments. This attitude destroys a person’s inheritance in the kingdom (1 Corinthians  6:9, 10). 


I will never leave you nor forsake you: This quotation is one of the most emphatic statements in the New Testament. In Greek it contains two double negatives, similar to saying in English, “I will never, ever, ever forsake you.” Jesus uses the same technique to express the certainty of eternal life for believers (John 10:28). The NKJV Study Bible


Joshua 1:5

No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you. 


Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”


Deuteronomy 31:8

And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.”


The Sunday-school teacher asked her 10-year-old students if they would be willing to give one million dollars to missionary work, for children and families in need.

“Yes,” they all screamed in unison.

“Very good. Would you give one thousand dollars?”

“Yes!”

“Good. Would you give one dollar?”

The class responded, “Yes,” except for one young boy, who sat silent.

“Why didn't you say yes?” the teacher asked.

“Because,” he stammered. “I have a dollar in my pocket.”

Napoleon reminded us, “Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to choose.” And because of that, the freedom “to choose” always works better in speeches, than it does in practice.

It's been our theme this week. We can “believe”, or we can “Get in.”


But here’s the deal: I can relate to the little guy. I get it.
Because this story isn’t about money, but our freedom to choose.


And, once you've got “a dollar in your pocket,” there's a parting of the ways in what we “believe”, and how we live.
Of course, I am still “free” to contribute, give, care for, risk, go out on a limb, let go, to live unshackled. But with my hand over the dollar in my pocket, I am stuck. And we all know the litany here (any of the reasons we find it difficult to remove our hand... any of the reasons that keep us stuck)—shame, need for perfection, fear of disappointment, “should,” need for certainty. Or, what if my dollar is not enough? After all, what will “they” think?
(Did it ever occur to you that we've never actually met “them,” but they still control our lives? Go figure.)
For me, it boils down to this: For whatever reason, I am afraid to let who I am (and what I have) spill to the world around me.
In conversations these days, in a world feeling upside down, where there are indeed, hands to hold, I am asked, “But what choices do we have? What can I do?”
I can begin here: “I can care. And I can give the dollar I have.”
And the good news? If you take the dollar—our heart, our big-heartedness, our compassion, our impact—from your pocket, you open yourself to change.

Now in touch with my heart, I am available to... give, forgive, risk, fail, try, create, offer, feel, see, embrace wonder.
I am available to build-bridges, cry, laugh, play, grieve, mourn, fall-down, get-up-again, paint, write, and see poetry in the clouds.
I am available to lend a helping hand, hold a hand that needs it, and give in to the vulnerability of trusting another who pushes the wheelbarrow.
Sabbath Moments


No comments:

Post a Comment